Spring and summer means master’s thesis work. As part of the LCT program you have three sets of requirements that you have to fulfill for your master’s thesis. The information is hard to locate on the websites, and often, you don’t end up receiving it at all. So far I’ve managed to get lucky somehow, and I haven’t missed any major deadlines– as far as I know. I really hope I haven’t fucked something up already, because I honestly can’t be sure (and if someone seems mistakes here, please let me know). The deadlines for the three programs that I have understood are as follows:
The deadlines for UniTN are fairly strict, and you can only delay things with the help of local supervisors. See also deadlines for 2018.
- Some time before graduation: Completion of internship (see below)
- 4 months before graduation: Thesis title declaration form signed by your UniTN adviser
- 1 month before graduation: Master’s defense application
- 1 week before graduation: Master’s thesis submission, and presumably the slides for your defense
- Graduation: this is also the date of your defense
UniTN internship (15 credits):
There are no strict deadlines for starting or ending the internship, but if you want to graduate on time, start it as early as possible in your second semester (or even your first). After you officially finish the internship, there are no strict deadlines for when to turn in the report and paperwork either. It’s important to save all documents as pdfs, because you will need to print and sign them, even if there’s no space for a signature.
Don’t be shy in contacting email@example.com with all your questions, because the websites are confusing, but they are very helpful and answer quickly. Just email them and ask them to confirm everything.
- The company needs to contact JobGuidance on your behalf and submit some forms to them.
- Your UniTN adviser needs to contact JobGuidance to approve your internship.
- You print out a copy of the agreement from the Esse3 (online student platform), which must be signed by you, your company supervisor, and your uni adviser.
- The form needs be submitted to the office of Job Guidance, which is at Via Verdi 6, Trento (the red building behind the building with the language classes).
To end the internship:
- Your evaluation of the company. Make sure to save as pdf before you leave the webpage.
- The company supervisor’s evaluation of you, signed by them (even though there’s no place for a signature). Make sure s/he saves it as a pdf before leaving the webpage.
- Certificato parte prima, which includes the timesheet, available in the online Esse3 platform, signed by you, and the company supervisor
- Report up to your uni adviser’s specifications (probably 2-3 pages in length), so that he can give you a grade (I think it’s pass/ no pass) in Esse3
- Certificato parte due, which is sent to you from Job Guidance, signed by your university adviser
The deadlines for UdS are very strict, and you risk missing your graduation deadline if you don’t follow them, so make a note of the dates. See also the description for 2018 and these annotations for LCT.
- Some time before graduation: Master seminar registration
- 3 months before graduation: Thesis registration (this is a physical form that you have to turn in to the exam office, but LCT students might have the possibility to email it; however, you have to ask for the form well in advance since the exam office is very bad at email)
- 6 weeks before graduation: Master seminar proposal submission (and if your thesis adviser is in Dr. Klakow’s group, then a presentation on your proposal before you turn in the proposal paper)
- Before the final date of the semester: Thesis submission and Colloquium presentation (a presentation instead of a defense)
In addition to all the credits from the correct categories, you have to present a poster at the LCT conference in the second half of your second year. It can be on your thesis, or on some internship work, or even on a proposal for your thesis, but it is mandatory.